Re: [xsl] things about grouping

Subject: Re: [xsl] things about grouping
From: Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 09:08:24 +0000

>>> sorry you mean the deduping........
>>>
>>> well you are no longer dealing in sets ...... so if you apply a
>>> set-theoretic construct then all bets are off and the law of the
>>> jungle applies.
>>
>> or to put it another way that is as much type abuse as applying a
>> numeric operator to a string and for that reason I would walk away
>> from such expressions.
>
> unless the , operator results in a relation rather than a set but then
> I'd have to refer to my discrete math text and parse the effect of a
> set-theoretic difference operation on a relation if indeed that is
> valid thing to do.

sorry above should read bag not relation. Same caveats apply.

The point is there is virtue in parsing a construct in the syntax and
semantics of it's original domain esp when it is well defined and
supported by axioms, in preference to parsing in terms of a
programming language specification that may lack those qualities.