Re: [xsl] Will every XSLT processor reduce upper-case('ß') to SS ?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Will every XSLT processor reduce upper-case('ß') to SS ?
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 07:39:28 -0500
On 1/6/2013 2:57 AM, Wolfgang Laun wrote:
My summary for converting '_' to upper case: (1) If you need to follow the current rules of German spelling, replace '_' by 'SS'. (1a) As an exception, where German law requires the preservation of the spelling of proper names: leave '_' as '_' (lower case, or use (2)). (2) If you(r software) can, use the new upper case '_' defined by Unicode and according to ISO/IEC 10646; otherwise follow (1). Wolfgang
FWIW I checked my Windows 7 laptop, on which the Arial font does *not* contain U+1E9E. Neither does Arial Unicode MS, which generally has the best coverage of widely-available fonts on Windows. Times New Roman does have it. So it seems that for display on the web, at least, it's probably safest to stick with (1) for a bit longer unless it is very important to display this character and you want to get fussy about font fallback.

-Mike