Re: [xsl] Re: Getting info of runtime failure in saxon environment

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: Getting info of runtime failure in saxon environment
From: Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:41:41 +0000
Note that the reason some parsers fail to provide location information for an encoding error is that in a properly layered architecture you need to do decoding before you start recognizing line endings, which means that the information about line numbers is typically not available at the point where the decoding error is detected. The layer that does know about line endings can intercept the error and add line number information, but the decoding layer may well be "reading ahead" by several thousand characters, making the location information unreliable. So Firefox is either smart, or lucky. Or wrong.

Michael Kay
Saxonica