Re: [xsl] Re: Getting info of runtime failure in saxon environment

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: Getting info of runtime failure in saxon environment
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 18:59:27 -0500
Karl,

You're very welcome, and I apologize if I came off as abrupt about the
OT-ness. Just because your question was off topic does not (at all!)
mean it was not of interest to readers of this list.

You may want to consider a range of options, for your gatekeepers to
use according to personal preference. If they use text editors, they
can learn to use XML editors or XML add-ons to the their text editors.
Liam mentioned xmllint and there are other command-line options. Maybe
they would be interested in xmlsh, a set of utilities in the form of a
shell. Etc. If you encourage them to try a few different things you
might be able to get them to teach each other.

If they are really not "technical" (which can mean a lot of things, as
there are many ways to be technical than to be expert with computers
:-) they may be most at home with one of the lightweight editors you
can find on line.

Undertaking a survey of the present state of the art in XML editors at
the free or low-cost end would -- again -- be off-topic ...

... unless it were reframed as "what's the state of the art in
low-cost or free editing applications to enable 'non-technical' users
to correct broken 'XML' and fix it for XSLT" ... one might manage to
get that on topic by stressing the last point. :->

What sorts of applications do your non-technical users already know
and like to use? What operating systems are they running?

Are they already viewing the XML in a styled display through CSS or
XSLT? Have they ever seen angle brackets?

Cheers, Wendell

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Karlmarx R <karlmarxr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks to you all for the various answers and suggestions. Very useful. Thanks again.
>
> Regards.

XML | XSLT | electronic publishing
Eat Your Vegetables