Re: [xsl] Saxon for C/PHP/Python/etc

Subject: Re: [xsl] Saxon for C/PHP/Python/etc
From: "Tony Graham" <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 15:28:44 +0100 (IST)
On Fri, September 27, 2013 3:00 pm, Louis-Dominique Dubeau wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-09-27 at 14:26 +0100, Adam Retter wrote:
>> libxslt is not just used on devices where there are web browsers!
>> There are many servers that do not have web browsers installed.
>
> Yep. I have to run XSLT on the server. There's a significant difference
> in the resources (time, memory) required between running something based
> on libxslt and running anything Java-based.
>
>> Also I
>> was rather under the impression that most web browser plugins were
>> written in C++ and not Java.
>
> That seems correct to me.

There's likely fewer Java-enabled web browsers now than a year ago anyway
after the Java security problems seen since January.  E.g., "Several
security firms routinely advise consumers and business to disable Java
browser add-ons, which are seldom needed to surf the 'net but sometimes
needed for internet applications." [1], and I have worked at a company
with a policy of disabling Java unless absolutely necessary.

Regards,

Tony Graham                                   tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx
Consultant                                 http://www.mentea.net
Mentea       13 Kelly's Bay Beach, Skerries, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming
       Chair, Print and Page Layout Community Group @ W3C

[1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/22/java_security_omnishambles/