Re: [xsl] Uncontrolled navigation around a document using @* ... huh?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Uncontrolled navigation around a document using @* ... huh?
From: Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 08:39:33 -0500
On Thu, 2013-11-14 at 10:27 +0000, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> The XSLT 3.0 specification introduces a new function for obtaining the attributes on a node, fn:attributes.
>
> fn:attributes has some desirable properties that @* does not have:
>
> 	Unlike the attribute axis, @*, the
> 	fn:attributes function returns atomized
> 	attribute values, which cannot be
> 	used as the base for uncontrolled
> 	navigation around the document.

Possibly because with @* you can use the parent axis on the attribute
nodes, whereas with atomized values you can't. I think "unconstrained"
is meant, not "uncontrolled"...

It's an issue for when you are trying to stream the input, because if
you save an attribute node the implementation will have to keep the
parent element node (if any) in memory, along with all its children, and
potentially the whole document.

Liam