Re: [xsl] [ANN] Saxon/C - Saxon for the C/C++ and PHP platforms

Subject: Re: [xsl] [ANN] Saxon/C - Saxon for the C/C++ and PHP platforms
From: "Tony Graham" <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 14:01:15 -0000 (GMT)
On Fri, November 29, 2013 11:52 am, Michael Kay wrote:
> Thanks for this useful data.

Only partially useful, I'm afraid.  IME, as you look through the
code.ohloh.net (nee koders.com) results, you eventually get to the point
where it's made a 'match' by finding parts of the search term in different
places in the one file, so the results are more useful for relative
popularity than for absolute numbers.

> I'm a little sceptical about the virtues of being 90%, or even 99%,
> compatible with another API. If you can't achieve 100%, you're going to

Implementing the full API was only ever at the bottom of my list [14].

> So perhaps some kind of adapter or bridge module that translates common
> cases might be a better approach than attempting to emulate libxslt2
> interfaces natively.

> On 29 Nov 2013, at 09:59, Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I don't think you could make a Saxon/C stylesheet look like a
>> xsltStylesheetPtr, but it does appear that most xsltStylesheetPtr are
>> made
>> straight from a file or an existing xmlDoc, so I am back to my assertion
>> that you could get a long way by the XSLT processor just producing and
>> consuming xmlDoc even if, as you say, you have to reserialise from and
>> the xmlDoc to get things to work.

Which is to say that you wouldn't want to emulate the libxslt functions
that take a xsltStylesheetPtr, but you could cover a lot of cases by
having similar functions that just take a filename or a xmlDoc for the
stylesheet and keep the other parameters more or less the same.

You also couldn't usefully fake a xsltTransformContext [15] either.  I've
only used that in anger for extension functions/elements, and they
wouldn't work with Saxon/C anyway.

Should we take this to the Saxon list before we're asked to take it off
this list?

Regards,

Tony Graham                                   tgraham@xxxxxxxxxx
Consultant                                 http://www.mentea.net
Mentea       13 Kelly's Bay Beach, Skerries, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming
       Chair, Print and Page Layout Community Group @ W3C

[14] http://www.mentea.net/resources/after-libxslt.pdf, slide 6
[15]
http://www.xmlsoft.org/XSLT/html/libxslt-xsltInternals.html#xsltTransformContext