Re: [xsl] General rule for designing XPath expressions to return items in document order?

Subject: Re: [xsl] General rule for designing XPath expressions to return items in document order?
From: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 12:40:37 +0000
This is a fascinating and enlightening discussion. I am getting a glimpse of
the difference between what is returned from an XPath query versus what is
happening under the hood by the XPath-processor.

Let me recap:

1. This XPath expression //section/head always returns items in document
order.

2. Under the hood, a XPath-processor might proceed like so:

	a. Fetch all the <head> elements
	b. Sort them into document order
	c. Return the sorted <head> elements

Is that accurate?

If so, please allow me to rephrase my initial question:

	I am seeking a general rule for designing XPath
	expressions so that under the hood the XPath-
	processor never needs to sort the fetched items into
	document order because the XPath expression
	is designed to always select items in document
	order. For example, instead of the above XPath
	expression, use this one /descendant::head[parent::section]
	Can you provide a general rule?

/Roger