Re: [xsl] Does the count() function require access to the whole subtree?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Does the count() function require access to the whole subtree?
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 14:31:30 -0500
Hi,

Thanks Mike for confirming my intuition. And thanks to Dimitre for
taking my second question to its logical limit (I think) and posing it
there. :-)

Cheers, Wendell
XML | XSLT | electronic publishing
Eat Your Vegetables

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:20 AM, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> For example, your pipeline could collect all //x (streaming) and then
>> reverse them (not streaming).
>>
>> In principle, you would need only the memory for holding //x (or
>> rather, copies of //x or pointers to them), not the entire collection
>> within which they are found.
>
> Generally you can't keep a "pointer" to a streamed node, because it's
transient. But you can keep a copy.

> So you should be able to do
>
> reverse(/copy-of(/x))
>
> The result of copy-of(//x) is grounded (it doesn't contain any streamed
nodes), and that makes it amenable to operations such as reverse().

>> I also had a related question, back in September. It wasn't answered
>> (rare for this list), either because it wasn't clear, or because XML
>> Summer School was going on at the time. Or both.
>
> Or possibly because the streaming design was completely up in the air at
that moment because we had just found a major bug. But I think we've still got
some issues with multi-phase streaming that need to be sorted out (that is,
with reading from a stream of nodes that is itself constructed by the
stylesheet), and such use cases need further work: we've got an agenda item to
discuss this.