Re: [xsl] Streaming terminology: Grounded

Subject: Re: [xsl] Streaming terminology: Grounded
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 10:49:42 +0000
On 20/01/2014 10:38, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
Hi Folks,

I am having a hard time understanding the new streaming terminology.
And, truthfully, I am feeling overwhelmed with all the new
terminology.

Perhaps we could collectively discuss each term, one at a time, and
understand them?

How about starting with "grounded".

The spec defines it this way:

Grounded: indicates that the value returned by the construct does not
contain nodes from the streamed input document. Atomic values and
function items are always grounded; nodes are grounded if it is known
that the they are in a non-streamed document. For example the
expressions doc('x') and copy-of(.) both return grounded nodes.

So this string

"Hello World"

is grounded because it is an atomic value and clearly it doesn't
involve reading anything from the input. That seems reasonable to
me.

I am puzzled why

copy-of(.)

is grounded, as it surely *does* result in reading (consuming) the
input, right?

And why is

doc('Book.xml')

grounded? Surely that expression results in reading new input (i.e.,
the content of Book.xml), right?

What are other examples of things that you might put in an XSLT
program that doesn't result in consuming any input?

So, grounded means "anything that doesn't result in consuming input",
right?

/Roger

No, the definition you quote is (mostly) about the result not the input.

>  Grounded: indicates that the value returned by the construct does not
> contain nodes from the streamed input document.

from that definition it is clear that copy-of is grounded as it copies 9ie makes new) nodes. So the returned value (if it is a node) is a new node not in the original input document. The fact that it may have to read some more or the input document to do that is relevant to the general scheme of things but not to that definition.

The streaming model is (I think) that there is a single main streamed input. so doc('x') returns nodes from a different document which are therefore "from the streamed input document".

David