Re: [xsl] "if-condition-return something" idiom : is it possible in XSLT ?

Subject: Re: [xsl] "if-condition-return something" idiom : is it possible in XSLT ?
From: "Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex gerrit.imsieke@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 12:20:43 -0000
Have you considered using xsl:choose?

On 16.06.2014 14:17, Kerry, Richard richard.kerry@xxxxxxxx wrote:

In C/C++ programming the following idiom is quite common:

if (condition1)
   return value1;

if (condition2)
   return value2;

if (condition3)
   return value3;

return value4;

In other words each of these will test a condition and if it is satisfied execution will stop and some value will be returned to the caller. The run stops with the first condition that succeeds.

I've tried to do something similar in XSLT and am getting somewhat contradictory indications of whether or not it is working. Please can someone advise whether this should work, or if there is a similar form that I can use.

What I have is like the following template, to be called by name.

<xsl:template name="test.1">
   <xsl:param name="string" select="''"/>

    <xsl:if test="$check.1 = 0">
      <xsl:value-of select="$value.1" />
    </xsl:if>

    <xsl:if test="$check.2 = 0">
      <xsl:value-of select="$value.2" />
    </xsl:if>

    <xsl:if test="$check.3 = 0">
      <xsl:value-of select="$value.3" />
    </xsl:if>

   <xsl:value-of select="$value.4" />
</xsl:template>

My theory of why it might work is based on knowing that the following will work:

<xsl:template name="test.2">
   <xsl:param name="string" select="''"/>

   <xsl:value-of select="$value.4" />
</xsl:template>

I say "will work" in the sense that if the above template is called (by name) it will return the value from value.4.  What I'm not sure of is whether that should work if the "returning" value-of is a level down, in an xsl:if, as in the other template (test.1).
It is only a theory of why it might work.  Practice may indicate otherwise, and somewhere in the spec might be a reason.

Can someone please advise whether I can do this, or how to get broadly equivalent behaviour ?

Regards,
Richard.

Richard Kerry
BNCS Engineer, SI SOL Telco & Media Vertical Practice
T: +44 (0)20 3618 2669
M: +44 (0)7812 325518
G300, Stadium House, Wood Lane, London, W12 7TA
richard.kerry@xxxxxxxx

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Atos group liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

-- Gerrit Imsieke GeschC$ftsfC<hrer / Managing Director le-tex publishing services GmbH Weissenfelser Str. 84, 04229 Leipzig, Germany Phone +49 341 355356 110, Fax +49 341 355356 510 gerrit.imsieke@xxxxxxxxx, http://www.le-tex.de

GeschC$ftsfC<hrer: Gerrit Imsieke, Svea Jelonek,
Thomas Schmidt, Dr. Reinhard VC6ckler