Re: [xsl] Sorting a TEI <biblStruct> bibliography by <surname>

Subject: Re: [xsl] Sorting a TEI <biblStruct> bibliography by <surname>
From: "Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 14:54:10 -0000
Hi,

I would do sort/@select="descendant::surname[1]"

Two reasons:

1. More legible and direct

2. Accounts for all surname descendants including biblStruct/surname
(although that shouldn't happen), not just those at lower levels.

Cheers, Wendell

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 12:03 AM, Charles Muller
acmuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Graydon wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 03:24:11AM -0000, Charles Muller
>> acmuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx scripsit:
>>>
>>> Thus, I changed
>>>
>>>   <xsl:sort select="*//surname"/>

>>>   <xsl:sort select="*//surname[1]"/>
>>>
>>> but this generates the same error message.
>>

>> What you changed it to isn't necessarily going to change the sequence
>> returned; it would only affect things if the surname elements were
>> siblings.  Otherwise you're getting the surname children of different
>> elements, same as before.  (The implicit context of position() is
>> relative to the parent element, and [1] is short for [position() eq 1])
>>
>> You may want
>>
>> <xsl:sort select="(*//surname)[1]"/>
>>
>> which takes the whole sequence of descendant surname elements and
>> returns the first one, but I'd be worried I had different values of
>> surname in there, and would want to try comparing them to make sure I
>> wasn't perpetrating and atrocity.
>

> Yes, this seems to do the trick. Thank you very much!
>
> Charles
>

> -------------------
>
> A. Charles Muller
>
> University of Tokyo
> Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Faculty of Letters
> Center for Evolving Humanities
> 7-3-1 HongE
, BunkyE
-ku
> Tokyo 113-8654, Japan
>
> Office: 03-5841-3735
>
> <acmuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Web Site: Resources for East Asian Language and Thought
> http://www.acmuller.net
>
> H-Buddhism Zotero Bibliography:

https://www.zotero.org/groups/h-buddhism_bibliography_project/items/collectio
nKey