Re: [xsl] Replacing = with == and ===

Subject: Re: [xsl] Replacing = with == and ===
From: "L2L 2L emanuelallen@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 17:29:39 -0000
> On Aug 2, 2014, at 8:21 PM, "G. Ken Holman g.ken.holman@xxxxxxxxx"
>
> At 2014-08-02 15:22 +0000, L2L 2L emanuelallen@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> .... Anyone know of any good books to read that concentrate mainly on
teaching xml, xslt, schema, xQuery, and xPath?

>> E-S4L
>
> There are 5 hours of free video instruction found here:
>
>  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/video.htm
>
> Preview 5 through Preview 10 will give you an overview of how to think about
these declarative languages.  These correspond to Module 2's introduction and
lessons 1, 2 and 4, Module 3's introduction and Module 4's introduction.

> The nature of your questions and suggestions to this list lead me to believe
your background is in imperative languages.  Sticking to this perspective may
hobble you in grasping how different XSLT is from such languages.

> I have tried to mark enough of my video lessons as free that students can
grasp all of the basic concepts of the way the language works without having
to pay for the more detailed lessons.

> I hope you find them helpful.
>
> . . . . . . . Ken
>

> --
> Contact us for world-wide XML consulting and instructor-led training |
> Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/video.htm |
> Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ |
> G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
> Google+ profile:      http://plus.google.com/+GKenHolman-Crane/about |
> Legal business disclaimers:    http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal |
>

> ---
protection is active.

I'm more of a reader, i really don't feel like setting down and listening to
someone explain it on a video, than have to rewind it to catch what they
say(if you look me up on GitHub, my profile picture will explain why). With
that said, I'm planing on reading xslt 2nd edition. I flag this email as a way
of bookmarking it for later. I look up your name for corresponding books I
could read. I found one, but it was written in 2001. I felt as if I should
tell you this our of respect. I am thankful for your time to send me the link
though.

Question:

Why does it seem xslt is favorite over xQuery?

I'm leaning toward xml native database than JSON native database. I feel that
XML is more easier to read and structor:

Comparing this:

var obj = {catalog:[
    {product:[
        {dept:"WMN"},
        {number:557},
        {name:[
           {lang:"en"},
           "Fleece Pullover"]},
           {colorChoices:"navy black"} ]},
    {product:[
        {dept:"ACC"},
        {number:563},
        {name:[
            {lang:"en"},
            "Floppy Sun Hat"]} ]},
   {product:[
        {dept:"ACC"},
        {number:443},
        {name:[
            {lang:"en"},
            "Deluxe Travel Bag"]} ]},
  {product:[
       {dept:"MEN"},
       {number:784},
       {name:[
          {language:"en"},
           "Cotton Dress Shirt",
          {colorChoices:"white gray"}]} ]},
  {desc:["Our ", {i:"favorite"}, "shirt!"]}
]};

To this:

<catalog>
    <product dept="WMN">
        <number>557</number>
        <name language="en">Fleece Pullover</name>
        <colorChoices>navy black</colorChoices>
    </product>
    <product dept="ACC">
        <number>563</number>
        <name language="en">Floppy Sun Hat</name>
   </product>
   <product dept="ACC">
       <number>443</number>
       <name language="en">Deluxe Travel Bag</name>
  </product>
  <product dept="MEN">
      <number>784</number>
      <name language="en">Cotton Dress Shirt</name>
      <colorChoices>white gray</colorChoices>
  </product>
</catalog>

It's...... Really it's cause of HTML that I would prefer xml to store my data.

    <product dept="WMN">
        <number>557</number>
        <name language="en">Fleece Pullover</name>
        <colorChoices>navy black</colorChoices>
    </product>

It seem to be more of a friendlier human readable approach --mainly do to
html; tags displaying data, and attribute containing value of that data--- to
storing one data; if they need to look at the actually raw file, it won't be
that much difficult --Again. html; being use to its syntax structure of
organizing data--- to read, and understand the data.

ESON(LiveScript Object Notation... JSON) present the same offer of storing
data:

    {product:[
        {dept:"WMN"},
        {number:557},
        {name:[
           {lang:"en"},
           "Fleece Pullover"]},
           {colorChoices:"navy black"}]}

 in it's own simple --all really base on what syntax you are either use to
when storing data or you prefer-- to format and read data.

HTML --I feel-- contribute to xml being popular. XHTML should just follow
behind HTML as a more strict syntax version --no need to try to make it
something more than html.

Compare to html, I feel that XHTML is more easier and predictable with the
closing tags, attribute value quoted, and restriction on style tags. Making it
a true web page structure format than HTML. The only thing I don't like is
that long DOCTYPE. This truly does make it less attractive. Hoping that it'll
transition over to schema, for a more easier approach.

And the only reason I became so zeal over XML and the likes is cause I came
across xQib(xQuery in the browser); the thought of w3c recommendations
becoming a programming language excite me. I delve in to xml beside still
learning LiveScript(ECMAScript). I'm hoping that out of so many I reach out
to, someone will put forth effort to reviewing it.

Xqib:

 <!DOCTYPE html>
page</title> <meta charset="UTF-8"/>

 </head> <body> <h1>Onclick Event</h1>
<input id="myButton" type="button" value="Click me"/>
----------------------------
<!DOCTYPE html> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";> <head>

 </head> <body> <h1>Event Location</h1>
 Click on one of the following words:
For more example, please visit this link: http://www.xqib.org/js/

I feel this is so much better than google dart language and angular js
framework.

I'm hoping of getting native xml database to support this feature of xQib...
But I seem to ran out of resource to contacting them, and people to voice this
too.

My question is, why does it seem people favorite xslt over xQuery?

E-S4L