Re: [xsl] XSLT3.0: Question about shadow attributes and the possibility to supply value to a static parameter

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT3.0: Question about shadow attributes and the possibility to supply value to a static parameter
From: "Dimitre Novatchev dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 15:09:26 -0000
On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 1:51 AM, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We ought really to make a more careful distinction between "visibility to
the calling application" and "visibility to a using package".
> Stylesheet parameters are not visible to a using package (because we want to
allow packages to be compiled independently of each other),
> but they are visible to the calling application (because otherwise they
would be pointless).

What if the value of a static stylesheet parameter was used to make
compile-time decisions (as in the "use-when" attribute on an
"xsl:import" declaration)? Wouldn't providing by the caller a
different value for this static parameter require a new compilation of
the already compiled package?

Cheers,
Dimitre

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 1:51 AM, Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> We ought really to make a more careful distinction between "visibility to
the calling application" and "visibility to a using package". Stylesheet
parameters are not visible to a using package (because we want to allow
packages to be compiled independently of each other), but they are visible to
the calling application (because otherwise they would be pointless).

> The two ideas are related, for example we only allow the application to
invoke a named template or a function as an entry point if it has public (or
final) visibility, but they are not identical.

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev
---------------------------------------