Re: [xsl] HTML/XHTML/HTML5 Serialization Options

Subject: Re: [xsl] HTML/XHTML/HTML5 Serialization Options
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 21:23:01 -0000
As it happens I've been working on this the last couple of days: I found that
there were no tests in the W3C QT3 test suite for XHTML serialization, and I
committed about 50 this morning.

In XSLT 2.0, the XHTML serialization method treats elements like <br/>
specially only if they are in the XHTML namespace.

In 3.0, it depends on whether the property html-version="5" is set. If not, it
behaves as before: only elements in the XHTML namespace are recognized. But
with html-version="5", elements in no namespace are also recognized.

Inevitably, given the shortage of test material, I found that Saxon 9.6
doesn't get all the details right, but on this particular point, I think it's
largely conformant.

Michael Kay
Saxonica
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx