Re: [xsl] Reasons for using XSLT to validate XML instances?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Reasons for using XSLT to validate XML instances?
From: "Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 18:35:45 -0000
The term "validation" applied to XML (or any other data format) is not
absolute. XML according to W3C's recommendation "Extensible Markup Language
(XML)" is "validated" by any good XML parser. On a higher level, elements,
attributes, their values and their compositions can be specified, and then
a "validation" can be done against this schema. Finally, on a very much
higher level, logical constraints on the contents of elements and
attributes, across the entire document, can be "validated" against a
specification going beyond formal rules.

In a way, these levels correspond to lexical analysis, syntactic analysis
and semantic analysis as known from the classic compiler construction.

-W

On 19 June 2015 at 20:14, PQQP5QP;P0P2 P!P5P4P>P2 schematronic@xxxxxxxxx
<