Re: [xsl] Question on space normalization in serialization

Subject: Re: [xsl] Question on space normalization in serialization
From: "David Sewell dsewell@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 23:58:58 -0000
On Tue, 1 Sep 2015, David Carlisle d.p.carlisle@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

[explaining that what I saw was the result of attribute value normalization by the parser]

Of course... and would have been obvious to me if I were processing XML containing "data" instead of working on XML containing "code". Sometimes I forget that XSLT is actually XML before it is anything else. Thanks!

David

On 1 September 2015 at 22:16, David Sewell dsewell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
I am probably forgetting something basic in the XSLT specs about how string
variables are created and evaluated, but I was experimenting with including
CSS rules within an XSLT stylesheet and then writing them at run time along
with the output of my transformation via xsl:result-document. I discovered
that if I put the CSS into a string variable using the @select attribute,
linefeeds are not preserved in the output; but if I put the CSS text into a
sequence constructor, the linefeeds are preserved in the output. What's the
underlying reason, assuming this isn't implementation-dependent? (I'm
testing with Saxon; XSLT 2 and 3 produce identical results.)

  exclude-result-prefixes="xs"
  version="2.0">
  <xsl:variable name="CSS1" as="xs:string" select="'
    p { color:pink; }
    a { font-family: fantasy}
    '"/>
  <xsl:variable name="CSS2" as="xs:string">
    p { color:pink; }
    a { font-family: fantasy}
  </xsl:variable>
  <xsl:template name="main">
    <xsl:result-document href="test1.css" method="text">
      <xsl:value-of select="$CSS1"/>
    </xsl:result-document>
    <xsl:result-document href="test2.css" method="text">
      <xsl:value-of select="$CSS2"/>
    </xsl:result-document>
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

PO Box 400318, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4314 USA
Email: dsewell@xxxxxxxxxxxx   Tel: +1 434 924 9973