Re: [xsl] [ANN] Saxon 9.7 released today

Subject: Re: [xsl] [ANN] Saxon 9.7 released today
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 17:52:10 -0000
> On 29 Nov 2015, at 17:45, Martin Honnen martin.honnen@xxxxxx
>
> Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Following just a week after the XSLT 3.0 Candidate Recommendation
>> from W3C, we are delighted to announce the release today of Saxon
>> 9.7.
>
> It is great to have an implementation to explore the candidate
recommendation.

> I have a question on http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-30/#element-for-each-group,
the Saxon 9.7 documentation at
http://saxonica.com/html/documentation/xsl-elements/for-each-group.html says:

> XSLT 3.0 introduces the ability to bind variables to the current group and
the current grouping key as an alternative to using the functions
current-group() and current-grouping-key(). The advantage of using variables
is that they have static scope, so the optimizer has more chance to see what
the stylesheet is doing with each group. Streamed processing is only possible
if the new variables are used, as this enables the processor to determine
whether or not the use of the current group is streamable.

Sorry, that's out of date. As you point out, this was a feature in a working
draft that later got dropped - there were too many complications and we found
other ways of solving the problems, essentially by forcing the current-group()
and current-grouping-key() calls to be statically within the for-each-group in
the streaming case.

We'll fix the incorrect Saxon documentation.

Michael Kay
Saxonica