Re: [xsl] handling of xsl-Variable in formatting text

Subject: Re: [xsl] handling of xsl-Variable in formatting text
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 13:35:56 -0000
Thanks. I've looked at your code and I can't see what's wrong with it. It's
always easier to find bugs in code if you can execute it.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

> On 15 Apr 2016, at 14:30, Dirk Naujoks naujoks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Thanks for your quick reply.
>
> the problem with the source and the working document is that I am not to
familiar with XSL and so I imagine I am not able to create such a document and
the xml-source of the data contains personal data.

> So maybe I try to explain the task i have to solve.
>
> I want to format a block-objekt depending on a condition either 'bold' or
'normal'

> My try was using the following code
>
> <fo:block span="none" font-family="OfficinaSansLT" font-size="{$schrifta}"
font-weight="{$outline}" text-align="start">

> The variable "schrifta" can be set either to 20pt or what other value you
like to and it is evaluated.

> The variable "outline" i set according to my first post doesnt seem to be
evaluated in this above code the text is allways "normal"

> But if i use the code
>
> <xsl:value-of disable-output-escaping="no" select="$outline" />
>
> I get the right output either "bold" or "normal".
>
> So I am a little mixed up. But I hope this description is clear enough to
see what my problem is.

> (because I am no nativ english-speaker it may be a little hard to find out
what I mean)

> Thanks for your Answers.
>

> Am 15.04.2016 um 14:42 schrieb Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx:
>> It would help to give a complete executable stylesheet (preferably with
irrelevant detail removed) and a source document, plus expected output, so
people can run it for themselves and debug it for you. As it is, we can only
stare at the code - you haven't even told us what the failure symptoms are
("it doesn't work" isn't very helpful...)

>> One thing I would suggest it to cut out the whitespace in the variable
value, which at best is unnecessary and at worst could cause downstream
processing to produce the wrong results:

>>>           <xsl:choose>
>>>                <xsl:when test="@pnr != '7000'">normal</xsl:when>
>>>                <xsl:otherwise>bold</xsl:otherwise>
>>>            </xsl:choose>
>>
>> Not being able to see a source document, I don't know if it's relevant, but
you should be aware of the exact meaning of "@pnr != '7000'" - it means "if
the pnr attribute exists and has a value other than '7000'. Writing "not(@pnr
= '7000')" has a different meaning when the attribute is absent.