[xsl] Mode in XSLT 3.0

Subject: [xsl] Mode in XSLT 3.0
From: "Toshihiko Makita tmakita@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 14:58:00 -0000
Hi list,

I'm testing to convert XSLT 2.0 stylesheet modules that have xsl:template with @match attributes to XSLT 3.0 packages. They belong DITA-OT plug-in and generates XSL-FO from DITA maps and topics.
Most of templates are defined with no @mode attributes which means that they are defined as default mode.
In XSLT 3.0 package if a template is declared without no @mode attribute, it is assumed to be "#unnamed" and "#unnamed" mode must be @visibility="hidden".
Consequently if we want declare templates in a library package as public, we must declare mode explicitly as following:

<xsl:package name="urn:package:a" default-mode="MODE_NORMAL" version="3.0">
  <xsl:mode name="MODE_NORMAL" visibility="public"/>
  <xsk:template match="v">b&</xsl:template>
  <xsk:template match="w">b&</xsl:template>
</xsl:package>

<xsl:package name="urn:package:b" default-mode="MODE_NORMAL" version="3.0">
  <xsl:mode name="MODE_NORMAL" visibility="public"/>
  <xsk:template match="x">b&</xsl:template>
  <xsk:template match="y">b&</xsl:template>
</xsl:package>

The first package:

  <xsl:use-package name="urn:package:a"/>
  <xsl:use-package name="urn:package:b"/>

However XSLT 3.0 specification says that mode name should be unique between library packages.

https://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-30/#named-components

"The components which can be declared in one package and referenced in another are: functions, named templates, attribute sets, modes, and global variables and parameters."

"[Definition: Two components are said to be homonymous if they have the same symbolic identifier.]"

"[ERR XTSE3050] It is a static error if the xsl:use-package elements in a package manifest cause two or more homonymous components to be accepted with a visibility other than hidden."

According to the specification, I found it is not useful to apply xsl:package for the XSLT 2.0 modules that have default mode templates. Is my understanding accurate?

--
 Toshihiko Makita