Re: [xsl] Mode in XSLT 3.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] Mode in XSLT 3.0
From: "Toshihiko Makita tmakita@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 14:30:13 -0000
Thank you for sorting out the DITA stylesheet requirement features.

>>From Makita-sanbs analysis it sounds like the XSLT 3 module mechanism may not match well to the natural DITA way of thinking about implementation modularity,
> especially if itbs not possible (or at least not easy) for a higher-precedence module to override templates in another module while taking advantage of public/private visibility distinctions.

Yes, as long as I see, xsl:package will not help the DITA stylesheet implementation. It may be useful to be used in more higher independent stylesheet sets.

> In the context of the DITA open Toolkit this is done by creating new top-level XSLTs that import overriding modules with higher precedence.

The most important concern is this point. If one develops their own plug-in that is not intended to be used from other plug-in, there will be no problem. In contrast if one develops the base plug-in that is intended to be used from other plug-in, the xsl:import instruction should be used in the other plug-in.
I that case if the other plug-in overrides the base template (such as 'ph' template), this template has higher import precedence than all of the imported templates.

<!-- Base module A (lower import precedence in imported plug-in stylesheet) -->
<xsl:template match="*[contains(@class, b topic/ph b)]">
<!-- default processing for "ph" elements -->
</xsl:template>
<!-- Base module A for specialization of ph (higher priority in imported plug-in stylesheet) -->
<xsl:template match="*[contains(@class, ' hi-d/b ')]" priority="5">
<!-- default processing for 'b'. Higher priority is needed because 'b' is specialized from 'ph' -->
</xsl:template>
<!-- Module B for custom processing of topic/ph (higher import precedence because this is coded in template that have xsl:import/@href="A") -->
<xsl:template match="*[contains(@class, ' topic/pn ')]">
<!-- Custom processing for topic/ph, overrides default -->
</xsl:template>

The last template has most high precedence than the 'b' template. As the result, template for 'b' become invalid. To solve this issue, we must code all highlight-domain templates (or all of the template for the element that is the specialized from 'ph') in import side plug-in.

  <!-- Module B for 'b' (higher import precedence in imported plug-in stylesheet) -->
  <xsl:template match="*[contains(@class, ' hi-d/b ')]" priority="5">
    <xsl:apply-imports/>
  </xsl:template>

I think that this problem has not been solved in DITA-OT plug-in and XSLT 3.0 does not offer useful solution.