Re: [xsl] xmllint and paragraph line width

Subject: Re: [xsl] xmllint and paragraph line width
From: "peter@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 18:04:02 -0000
On 2018-03-19 15:39, Jeffrey Walton noloader@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Everyone,

We run our book source through xmllint before making the book and
checking in sources to version control.

We would like to format the sources so paragraphs have a break at 80
or 90 chracters. The line breaks make it easier on version control
tools like Git, and make it easier to see changes and the end of a
sentence (that would otherwise require scrolling).

It looks like xmllint does not have the formatting option. I'm
guessing I am missing an obvious step, like using some other tool to
apply the line breaks.

I think so.

How do we format paragraphs to a particular width when using xmllint
in our toolchain?

I think you have answered your own question. If xmllint doesn't have an option to break records in mixed content, then you need some other tool. Are you tied to using xmllint and nothing else?

Emacs with psgml-mode does what you want by default, except that it indents the mixed content for readability because it's an editor. You could turn off the indentation, I am sure, but I've never wanted to do that; and if you did, you could run files through it in batch mode. I suspect there are plenty of people here who can help with that :-)

You could write some XSLT to do it, but it's harder than you think because you will need to obey whatever other (unwritten?) business rules you apply to mixed content.

///Peter