Re: [xsl] XSLT function for title capitalization?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT function for title capitalization?
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 22:09:14 -0000
My copy-editors at Wiley tried to impose US-style title capitalization on my
book, I found it incredibly ugly:

bLulab Is Inmate at Prison He Opened as Brazilbs President
<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/09/world/americas/brazil-lula-jail.html>

"Is", "at", "He", "as"? Where's the logic?

Michael Kay
Saxonica

> On 9 Apr 2018, at 21:52, David Sewell dsewell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Wondering if anyone has a serviceable function (preferably in XSLT 2/3 but
v1 is fine if it works) that takes a string as input and returns it with title
capitalization according to English-language editorial practice (for example,
Chicago Manual of Style).  So for example

> A MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING ==> A Memorandum of Understanding
>
> WHERE DID THE DRUIDS COME FROM? ==> Where Did the Druids Come From?
>
> BEING FOR THE BENEFIT OF [MR.] KITE ==> Being for the Benefit of [Mr.] Kite
>
> Use case is, as you might guess, processing a lot of titles transcribed as
all caps, wanting to convert them to standard title case format.