[xsl] About casting

Subject: [xsl] About casting
From: "Leo Studer leo.studer@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 05:32:49 -0000
Good morning - at least in Europe ;-)

Thank you Kay for bringing this up. For me it is not alway clear when I have
to cast explicitly and when it is happening implicitly. I for my code cast
explicitly even when it is not required. In this way I better understand what
is happening.

What you call strong casting is in my terminology explicit casting and your
week casting is implicit casting for me.

Have a wonderful week
Always
Leo

> Just to clarify this, we could perhaps use the terms
>
> * strong casting - as performed using the "cast as" expression or a
constructor function like xs:integer()

> * weak casting - as performed by the (badly-named) function conversion
rules. Includes atomization, numeric promotion, and conversion of
xs:untypedAtomic to the required type