Re: [xsl] Is XSLT the right tool for XML to SGML conversions

Subject: Re: [xsl] Is XSLT the right tool for XML to SGML conversions
From: "David Carlisle d.p.carlisle@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 19:06:28 -0000
On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 at 19:55, Dave Pawson dave.pawson@xxxxxxxxx

> Not IMHO Rick? One option,
>    XSLT is targetted at XML output (or text or html).
> I *think*, to produce shorttag etc you'd need to use text output (a pain?)

The hard part of transforming from one document structure to another
is getting the structure right, the linearisation details are just
details...

So if you have an XML model for your output structure XSLT is a good
option to target that, then linearising that structure in the
specified SGML syntax is just a choice of tools. Suggested options
already in this thread, a custom XSLT serialiser (Java), or perl, or
just sed (replacing /> by > really could be done with anything:-)  or
you could use XSLT text mode for this step as well. (better as a final
serialisation-only mode after the main transformation)

David