Re: [xsl] recursion

Subject: Re: [xsl] recursion
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 08:39:05 -0000
I don't know if it's the cause of your problem, but you've fallen into a
classic elephant trap here by writing

> <xsl:with-param name="number"><xsl:value-of select="$number +
1"/></xsl:with-param>

instead of

> <xsl:with-param name="number" select="$number + 1"/>

Usually this is only a problem of code efficiency and readability, but in this
case it actually affects the logic. The way you have written it, $number is a
document node (or in 1.0, a result tree fragment), so $notes[$number] is
always true, because the effective boolean value of a node is always true. You
obviously intended this to be a numeric selection, which will only be the case
if $number is indeed a number.

General rule: declare the types of your variables and parameters, and many of
your bugs will be found in a fraction of the time.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

> On 24 Jan 2019, at 03:34, Jim Albright jim_albright@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Problem:  I have an XML file that has notes mixed up with comments.  I want
to move the notes from current location to Notes element.  There could be 0 to
10 notes.

select="ancestor::Lexicon_Entry//LEXMeanings[1]//LEXSense[@LanguageCode='pt']
//span[@class='x']"/>

> Recursive code XSLT 2.0:
>    <xsl:template name="get_note">
>        <xsl:param name="notes" select="."/>
>        <xsl:param name="number" ><xsl:value-of select="."/></xsl:param>
>        number /<xsl:value-of select="$number"/>/
>        notes[number] /<xsl:value-of select="$notes[$number]"/>/
>        notes /<xsl:value-of select="$notes"/>/
>        <xsl:choose>
>            <xsl:when test="exists($notes[$number])">
>                <xsl:element name="note">
>                <xsl:attribute name="Caller"><xsl:value-of
select="$number"/></xsl:attribute>
>                <xsl:attribute name="LanguageCode">pt</xsl:attribute>
>                <xsl:element name="Content">
>                    <xsl:copy-of select="$notes[$number]"/>
>                </xsl:element>
>            </xsl:element>
>                <xsl:call-template name="get_note">
>                    <xsl:with-param name="notes" select="$notes"/>
>                    <xsl:with-param name="number"><xsl:value-of
select="$number + 1"/></xsl:with-param>
>                </xsl:call-template>
>            </xsl:when>
>            <xsl:otherwise>
>            zzzzzzzz    <!-- end -->
>            </xsl:otherwise>
>        </xsl:choose>
>    </xsl:template>
>
> This works fine for 0 or 1 notes but when 2 or more are found it goes into
an endless loop.
> Here is output with debugging code showing values
>    <Note Caller="1" LanguageCode="en">
>        <References/>
>        <Content>There are no doubt certain subtle differences of meaning in
these terms, especially in their connotations, but it is not possible to
specify the difference on the basis of existing contexts.</Content>
>      </Note>
>    <Note Caller="1" LanguageCode="pt">
>              <Content>
significado entre esses termos, especialmente em termos conotativos, mas nC#o
C) possC-vel determinar isso com base nos contextos disponC-veis.

> <note Caller="2" LanguageCode="pt"><Content><span class="x">3 Em Mt 5.21,
local. </span></Content></note>

>        number /3/
>        notes[number] /2 Com certeza existem sutis diferenC'as de significado
entre esses termos, especialmente em termos conotativos, mas nC#o C) possC-vel
determinar isso com base nos contextos disponC-veis.  3 Em Mt 5.21,
N:Oa=7ON9O se refere, provavelmente, a um tribunal local. /
>        notes /2 Com certeza existem sutis diferenC'as de significado entre
esses termos, especialmente em termos conotativos, mas nC#o C) possC-vel
determinar isso com base nos contextos disponC-veis.  3 Em Mt 5.21,
N:Oa=7ON9O se refere, provavelmente, a um tribunal local. /

> so when $number is 3, $notes[$number] is the same as $notes but $notes[3] is
the empty set.
> I have verified that $number is actually an integer.  In this example there
are two notes. The first note starts with 2 Com ... and the second note starts
with 3 Em ...