Re: [xsl] Trying to remove default namespace declaration in output

Subject: Re: [xsl] Trying to remove default namespace declaration in output
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 16:06:33 -0000
xmlns:ditaarch is a namespace, not an attribute (namespaces are not attributes
in the XDM data model).

The way to drop a namespace depends on whether the namespace is actually used
or not. Sometimes when people say they want to drop a namespace declaration,
what they actually want to do is to move the elements into a different
namespace. From your question, it's not clear whether that is the case here.

To drop an unused namespace, in XSLT 2.0 you can do <xsl:copy
copy-namespaces="no">, while in 1.0 you need to use <xsl:element
name="{local-name()}">.

To move an element into a different namespace, you have to use <xsl:element>
rather than <xsl:copy>.

You template rule for attributes could be replaced with the much simpler:

> <xsl:template name="processAtrbiutes">
>     <xsl:apply-templates select="./@*"/>

</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="@class | @domains | @DITAArchVersion |
@ux-source-priority"/>
<xsl:template match="@*"><xsl:copy/></xsl:template>

Michael Kay
Saxonica

> On 5 Mar 2019, at 15:46, dvint@xxxxxxxxx
>
> I'm using XSLT to process DITA topics. This is a conversion/cleanup effort
to try and normalize our content before loading into a new CMS. So basically
doing an identity transformation with some random modifications.

xmlns:ditaarch="http://dita.oasis-open.org/architecture/2005/";

> This is the primary template that is doing the transformation
>
>     <xsl:template match="node()" priority="-10">
>         <xsl:copy>
>             <xsl:call-template name="processAtrbiutes"/>
>             <xsl:apply-templates select="node()"/>
>         </xsl:copy>
>     </xsl:template>
>

> And this is the template that I have handling the attributes
>

> <xsl:template name="processAtrbiutes">
>     <xsl:for-each select="./@*">
>         <xsl:choose>
>             <xsl:when test="name(.) = 'class'">
>                 <!-- Remove -->
>             </xsl:when>
>             <xsl:when test="name(.) = 'domains'">
>                 <!-- Remove -->
>             </xsl:when>
>             <xsl:when test="local-name(.) = 'DITAArchVersion'">
>                 <!-- Remove -->
>             </xsl:when>
>             <xsl:when test="local-name(.) = 'ditaarch'">
>                 <!-- Remove -->
>             </xsl:when>
>             <xsl:when test="local-name(.) = 'ux-source-priority'">
>                 <!-- Remove -->
>             </xsl:when>
>             <xsl:otherwise>
>                 <xsl:attribute name="{local-name(.)}" select="."/>
>             </xsl:otherwise>
>         </xsl:choose>
>     </xsl:for-each>
> </xsl:template>
>

> Basically I want to copy the attributes in the XML file that have been
applied and remove anything that has a default in the DTD.

> I have the ditaarch test here that is doing no good, but the other tests do
what they are supposed to. For the namespace I tried declaring this namespace
on the <xsl:stylesheet> element and then exclude it but that didn't work
either.