Re: [xsl] Is it possible to store XSLT code fragments as data and then dynamically evaluate those code fragments?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Is it possible to store XSLT code fragments as data and then dynamically evaluate those code fragments?
From: "Graydon graydon@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 11:53:28 -0000
On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 11:38:23AM -0000, Costello, Roger L.
costello@xxxxxxxxx scripsit:
> The big picture is this: I want to perform various mapping operations
> on the Book data. I want the mapping operations expressed in a
> declarative manner so that Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) can review
> the mappings for correctness (e.g., upon reviewing the above code
> fragment the SME says: "Yes, that is the correct way to convert costs
> in USD to GBP"). Ideally, the mapping operations would be stored as
> data and then dynamically evaluated (after the SMEs have certified
> their correctness). What do you recommend? It appears that dynamic
> evaluation of XSLT code fragments is not possible, so what is the next
> best thing?

This sounds like you want to use XQuery.

Being maybe-overly-general, if you want to change the document, you want
XSLT, and if you want to find out what's in there, you want XQuery.  It
sounds like you're talking about having a list of approved searches;
that's much more an XQuery thing to do than an XSLT thing to do.

(You can do it with XSLT, just like you can change the document with
XQuery, but in terms of not fighting with the design intent, XSLT
changes things and XQuery finds things.)

-- Graydon