Re: [xsl] XSpec and XSL Testing

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSpec and XSL Testing
From: "Christophe Marchand cmarchand@xxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 21:06:00 -0000
At Editions Lefebvre Sarrut - France - we have a strong requirement on
XSLT unit testing. We use XSpec, with xspec-maven-plugin [1], which
produces JUnit / Surefire test report, that is perfectly integrated in
CI tools (Jenkins, SonarQube).

All our projects, even XSL-only projects, are maven projects. An
important point of xspec-maven-plugin is the ability to choose which
Saxon you use (HE, PE, EE), and, if you have your own build of Saxon
available in a maven repo, you can use it for XSpec.

We are currently testing XSpec on Schematron, and try to find a solution
to unit test RNG with XSpec too...

Sandro Cirulli [2] and AirQuick [3] have done a real great job to bring
XSpec up to XST 3.0 level, and to support correctly XQuery & Schematron
- there is still some jobs to finalize...

For real specific cases (including xsl:error testing), you use JUnit, as
XSpec is not able to catch errors. There is some job around this [4],
but not yet merged into main stream.

At this point, main dev stream is at [5] and builds are available in
maven at [6]

As far as XProc 3.0 goes, Editions Lefebvre Sarrut have some plans on
using XSpec for XProc unit testing. It requires a lot of XSpec language
evolutions, but there is a lot of promises...

XSpec is still alive !

Best regards,
Christophe

[1] - https://github.com/xspec/xspec-maven-plugin-1/