Re: [xsl] How to design XPath queries and XSLT code that can be readily repurposed?

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to design XPath queries and XSLT code that can be readily repurposed?
From: "G. Ken Holman g.ken.holman@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 18:34:31 -0000
Regardless of what data techniques you decide to use, look into the use of <xsl:import> and the writing of "core" stylesheet libraries that are exploited by "shell" stylesheet contexts that deliver results based on the core.

Here is a case study of a stylesheet library created for the US intelligence community. How can multiple organizations (CENTCOM, STRATCOM, Coast Guard, etc.) get multiple renderings of one piece of XML without having to rewrite all of code? By putting the shared logic in a shared library and putting the specific logic in a shell (many, many, shells each adding more specialization to the core):

http://web.archive.org/web/20071113054804/http://www.idealliance.org/proceedings/xml05/ship/18/Holman-18.HTML

The (dreaded) XML namespaces is your friend here: build the library using namespaces on every possible global construct (keys, variables, template rules, etc.) to qualify the construct name in order to avoid accidental collision by someone writing a shell and not knowing the names of the constructs used in the library.

In fact I used two namespaces in the core: one for constructs that are used internally by the core and not expected to be touched by the shells, and one for constructs in the core available to be tweaked by a shell. All to prevent future inadvertent behaviours because the developers writing the shells are not always the developers writing the core. The core can be made an effective "black box" by using namespaces.

To document all this I created an XSLT documentation methodology named XSLStyle to enforce my stylesheet writing rules regarding the appropriate use of namespaces on global constructs. At the same time it produces summary documentation:

https://cranesoftwrights.github.io/resources/#xslstyle

And the documentation produced illuminates the import/include hierarchy and produces an alphabetized index of all of the global constructs.

I hope this is helpful.