[xsl] Best practice for typing?

Subject: [xsl] Best practice for typing?
From: "David Birnbaum djbpitt@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 01:43:50 -0000
Dear xsl-list,

Is there a consensus about best practice with respect to possibly redundant
typing? For example, we can specify a type using @as on corresponding
<xsl:param> and <xsl:with-param> elements, but if the type is specified on
<xsl:param>, it seems as if that might make it redundant also to specify it
on <xsl:with-param>, since using the wrong type at the level of
<xsl:with-param> will be caught by the type specification on <xsl:param>
anyway. Similarly, if I construct the return value of a function by using
<xsl:sequence> inside the body of the function, I can specify the typing on
<xsl:sequence>, but also on <xsl:function>, and it seems as if specifying
it in either of those places will catch the same errors as specifying in
both. (I am only beginning to learn to use schema-aware processing, and
therefore less certain about how specifying @type when constructing an
interim element or attribute interacts with specifying @as when using it.)

Is there consensus among XSLT developers about whether it might be better
to use @as everywhere it is allowed, or, alternatively, better to avoid
using it redundantly? What is the practice of other readers of this list?

Thanks,

David
djbpitt@xxxxxxxxx