Re: [xsl] Why does this XPath expression work fine when run inOxygen but fails when used in an XSD 1.1 assert element?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Why does this XPath expression work fine when run inOxygen but fails when used in an XSD 1.1 assert element?
From: "Mukul Gandhi gandhi.mukul@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2019 06:22:22 -0000
Hi Roger,

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 12:11 AM Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx <

> Secondly, the spec says that by default, assertions can't see comments and
> PIs. In other words, users can add comments and PIs to the instance without
> worrying about whether the schema allows them. Again, that's based on a
> theory about what comments and PIs are intended for. But here the spec
> relaxes the rules, and says that "at user option" comments and PIs can be
> made visible to assertions. Saxon provides such an option
> (--assertionsCanSeeComments:true on the command line). But they're only
> visible if they're in the subtree of the element being validated.

Your original error message said,
Assertion evaluation ('*[local-name(.) eq
'style']/following-sibling::comment()[1]/starts-with(., '[if gte mso
9]><xml>')') for element 'head' on schema type 'headType' did not succeed.

(This looks to be a message generated by Xerces validator)

What Mike has written above, is also supported by Xerces, i.e with an user
option assertion XDM trees can contain comments and PIs. I think that,
Oxygen XML IDE has an option to toggle this XSD validation feature.

Of course, you may also use Saxon if you wish.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi