Re: [xsl] [ANN]: Apache Xerces-J 2.12.1 now available

Subject: Re: [xsl] [ANN]: Apache Xerces-J 2.12.1 now available
From: "Mukul Gandhi gandhi.mukul@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 14:54:41 -0000
Hi Christophe,
    I think that, there have been lots of discussion on Xerces-J lists
about this issue (I think, you were also part of those discussions). If I
may, I'd like to say few points about this issue here as well.

Firstly, I believe that Xerces team recognizes the need of having Xerces-J
artifacts available on Maven Central, as has been suggested by community.
While Xerces team currently doesn't do this by itself, I think if anyone
wants to use Xerces-J jars within Maven builds, a process described at
https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-3rd-party-jars-local.html [1] is
one way of doing this. I think that, this process [1] is perfectly feasible
for individual developers using Maven builds. But if in an enterprise team
environment, multiple developers in a team wish to use the preceding cited
method [1], then each developer has to use that method on their individual
workstations. This is where, Xerces-J jars published on Maven Central, or
on an intranet based Maven repository (like, Artifactory/Nexus) would be
useful.
I think that, for a particular Maven build, Maven repositories are used in
a hierarchical fashion (artifacts are first searched from local repository,
then from intranet location, and then from the Maven Central. i.e artifacts
are made available to the Maven build from the nearest repository).

Another possible approach to use 3rd party jars with Maven is, to use the
<systemPath> tag within Maven's pom file (but I haven't tested this yet).

Also, the Apache project release process doesn't make publishing to Maven
Central mandatory. We currently use this liberty.
Overall, I think that, Xerces-J releases as are currently done can be
consumed effectively within Maven (certainly not in a highly optimal way,
since Xerces-J yet doesn't publish its artifacts on Maven Central by
itself) and non Maven build environments.

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 3:21 PM Christophe Marchand cmarchand@xxxxxxxxxx <

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi