[xsl] How to read an XML file that is in a subfolder or sub-subfolder or sub-sub-subfolder or ...?

Subject: [xsl] How to read an XML file that is in a subfolder or sub-subfolder or sub-sub-subfolder or ...?
From: "Costello, Roger L. costello@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 13:05:47 -0000
Hi Folks,

My XSLT program has a variable $filename which contains the name of an XML
file. The XML file is in a folder named "files" or one of its subfolders or
one of its sub-subfolders or one of its sub-sub-subfolders or ...

In other words, it's somewhere in the tree of folders rooted at "files."

I want to open the XML file (wherever it's located within "files") and read it
into an XSLT variable. Is there a way to do this?

/Roger