Re: [xsl] Line break algorithm

Subject: Re: [xsl] Line break algorithm
From: "Dimitre Novatchev dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 19:14:27 -0000
> I think Saxon for instance tries to optimize tail calls of
> xsl:call-template so depending on how you write your recursive templates
> you might not run into the problem of a stack overflow.

Saxon does this for templates, but I believe, not for all types of
functions. In the past I raised this problem and Dr. Michael Kay said that
at the time the XSLT WG didn't mandate recognizing and optimizing
tail-recursion, because they didn't have a definition for "tail-recursion".

Some products are very successful in properly handling tail-recursion.
BaseX for example implemented all their operations on sequences with the
Finger Tree data structure, which is inherently recursive. They don't have
any SO problems as they are using and successfully recognizing tail
recursion, as does the modern, intelligent functional-programming world.

Cheers,
Dimitre

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 11:28 AM Martin Honnen martin.honnen@xxxxxx <

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
-------------------------------------
Never fight an inanimate object
-------------------------------------
biggest mistake of all
------------------------------------
you're doing is work or play
Typing monkeys will write all Shakespeare's works in 200yrs.Will they write
all patents, too? :)
Sanity is madness put to good use.