Re: [xsl] A super-efficient way to compute the sum of A[i] * B[i]for i=1 to n?

Subject: Re: [xsl] A super-efficient way to compute the sum of A[i] * B[i]for i=1 to n?
From: "Costello, Roger L. costello@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 16:45:26 -0000
Thank you Michael, Michael, and Martin.

I measured the performance of this:

sum(for $i in 1 to count($A/col) return number($A/col[$i]) *
number($B/col[$i]))

and this:

sum(for $i in 1 to count($A) return number($A [$i]) * number($B [$i]))

in the latter, $A and $B holds the sequence of values in the <col> elements.

I ran the two versions 16.6 million times.

The first version (which involves finding the Nth child element) took: 0.670
seconds

The second version (which involves finding the Nth item in a sequence) took:
0.852 seconds

It is faster to find the Nth child element than to find the Nth item in a
sequence - surprising!

I used SAXON EE 9.1.4

/Roger