Re: [xsl] XSLT 4 xsl:with

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 4 xsl:with
From: "Peter Flynn peter@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 10:01:19 -0000
On 19/05/2020 09:54, Pieter Masereeuw pieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Just something that I've always wanted to bring up, but always hesitated to do because I don't know if it's really worthwhile:

I often find myself using xsl:for-each for no other purpose than merely setting the context, e.g., in order to call a named template or to simplify a set of XPath expressions.

I do this fairly often, usually for the second reason you give, and because it is basically a way of saying "hold on, I'm just going over to that part of the tree to do something, back in a few ticks"
I would be very happy if I could make my intentions clearer by using a real XSLT construct in this situation, such as *<xsl:with select="...">*.

<xsl:hold-my-beer>

The proposed name comes from my first computer language, Pascal.

Mine doesn't :-)

Peter