Re: [xsl] XSLT3 generic grouping functions

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT3 generic grouping functions
From: "Martin Honnen martin.honnen@xxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2020 11:30:34 -0000
Am 09.07.2020 um 13:21 schrieb Matthieu RICAUD-DUSSARGET
m.ricaud-dussarget@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
In the other xsl I pointed

https://github.com/ELSGestion/els-sie-xsl-lib/blob/master/src/main/xsl/nest-t
itles.xsl
I use a kind on binterfaceb pattern :

This common xsl module defines function which returns a fatal error
saying bplease override me to define your caseb

<xsl:function name="xslLib:nest-title.getDeepLevel" as="xs:integer">

B <xsl:param name="e" as="element()"/>

B <xsl:sequence select="-1"/>

 B  <xsl:message terminate="yes">[FATAL] Please implement an overriding
function for xslLib:nest-title.getDeepLevel() in your own
XSLT</xsl:message>

</xsl:function>

Thatbs what the nest-html-titles.xsl does defining level for HTML titles
:

<xsl:function name="xslLib:nest-title.getDeepLevel" as="xs:integer">

B <xsl:param name="e" as="element()"/>

B <xsl:variable name="deepLlevel" as="xs:string">

B B B <xsl:choose>

B B B B B <xsl:when test="matches(local-name($e), '^h\d+$')">

B B B B B B B <xsl:sequence select="substring-after(local-name($e),
'h')"/>

B B B B B </xsl:when>

B B B B B <xsl:otherwise>

B B B B B B B <xsl:value-of select="'-1'"/>

B B B B B </xsl:otherwise>

B B B </xsl:choose>

B </xsl:variable>

B <xsl:sequence select="$deepLlevel cast as xs:integer"/>

</xsl:function>

I could define any other XSLT for this kind of title grouping by just
importing the common module and overriding this function according to
the XML grammar of title to nest.

I like this pattern even if Ibm not sure this is a good practice or is
used by others.

Any thought about it ?

In the context of XSLT 2 or 3 based on importing modules with xsl:import it looks fine.

As you say you are also exploring new XSLT 3 features step by step, you
could exploring packages and make that function abstract in the base
package I think: https://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-30/#visibility