Re: [xsl] xmlns in the root element prevents transformation

Subject: Re: [xsl] xmlns in the root element prevents transformation
From: "Pieter Masereeuw pieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 10:34:41 -0000
My experience is that namespaces are useful but far too often used
without a real need. Some people seem to like complexity. I don't.

Unless you want to live by a prefix only, you only need namespaces when
you mix several XML languages, such as in the case of XSLT and XSL-FO
(where you can mix in foreign content, such as SVG).

In cases where I design my own simple XML, I avoid using them, to keep
things simple.

By the way: living by prefix only may be theoretically unsound, but, as
an example, if your root element is xsl:stylesheet, and if it is being
processed by an XSLT processor, then for all practical purposes it's
obvious what the prefix xsl means.

Pieter