Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 courses?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 courses?
From: "Liam R. E. Quin liam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 23:53:47 -0000
On Fri, 2020-09-18 at 19:31 +0000, Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In addition to Liam's list I think there are a couple more vital
> features
> one needs to get a taste of in XSLT 2.0 or XSLT 3.0, if one has been
> subsisting on an XSLT 1.0 diet:
>
> * <xsl:for-each-group> and its uses
> * temporary trees -
> * regex support in functions and xsl:analyze-string
> * tunnel parameters?

Yeah, those are all huge, although i think easier to learn than things
like ($a, 'none')[1], which are startling because XSLT 1 didn't have
sequences.

For those wondering, ($a, $b, $c, ...)[1] returns the first non-empty
non-false item out of $a, $b and $c, so it's a shortcut for
    <xsl:sequence select="if ($a) then $a else $b" />

On regular expressions - it's huge, but it's also dangerous, as e.g.
replace(price div 100, '\.\d*$', '') is not a good way to write
math:floor().

An XSLT-3-from-scratch course could easily take a full week and be
woefully incomplete. Or totally overwhelming. Or both.

On the other hand, i try & include "don't be afraid of the specs" in
the courses i teach, and then not cover every detail. So maybe it's
possible.

Liam

--
Liam Quin,B https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/