Re: [xsl] tokenizing and counting with xsl:analyze-string

Subject: Re: [xsl] tokenizing and counting with xsl:analyze-string
From: "Mukul Gandhi gandhi.mukul@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 09:04:37 -0000
On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 1:22 PM Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx <

> With xsl:analyse-string you would still need a variable, but it could be a
> simpler variable: for example it might just contain a "1" for a match, and
> a "0" for a non-match; at the end you then need to count the ones and zeros
> which you can do with string-length(translate(...)).

With your suggestion, below mentioned is my new XSLT stylesheet,

<xsl:stylesheet version="3.0" xmlns:xsl="
http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
                                               xmlns:xs="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
                                               exclude-result-prefixes="xs">

   <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>

   <xsl:template match="/">
      <xsl:variable name="temp_result" as="xs:boolean*">
          <xsl:analyze-string
select="'abhello1cdehello2fghijklhello3hello4mhello5nhello6'"
                                         regex="hello[1-9]">
             <xsl:matching-substring>
                <xsl:value-of select="1"/>
             </xsl:matching-substring>
             <xsl:non-matching-substring>
        <xsl:value-of select="0"/>
             </xsl:non-matching-substring>
          </xsl:analyze-string>
      </xsl:variable>
      <result>
         <yes count="{count(index-of($temp_result, true()))}"/>
         <no count="{count(index-of($temp_result, false()))}"/>
      </result>
   </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

The above stylesheet gives me the desired result.

But the above mentioned XSLT stylesheet, doesn't do exactly what you've
suggested.

I would preferably, wish to declare my XSLT variable as follows,

<xsl:variable name="temp_result" as="xs:string">
    <xsl:analyze-string ...
</xsl:variable>

with an expectation that, content of this new kind of variable would be a
string (i.e, an atomic xs:string value) of 1 s & 0 s characters, on which I
could do string-length(translate(...)). Is this doable?

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi