Re: [xsl] tokenizing and counting with xsl:analyze-string

Subject: Re: [xsl] tokenizing and counting with xsl:analyze-string
From: "Mukul Gandhi gandhi.mukul@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 13:53:24 -0000
On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 4:27 PM Mukul Gandhi gandhi.mukul@xxxxxxxxx <

> With above mentioned XSLT stylesheet, the thing that worked is, not
> explicitly declaring the type for xsl:variable name="temp_result".

I find this strange.

With context to my example, if xsl:variable name="temp_result" without an
explicit type declaration on the variable, presents the result of this
variable as string (and string-length(translate(... working fine on such a
variable), why declaring like xsl:variable name="temp_result"
as="xs:string" work similarly (isn't using as="xs:string" a stronger signal
to the XSLT processor, to maintain the variable's value as string, and
presenting this string to a function expecting xs:string value fine)?

I'm using Saxon EE 10.2 as an XSLT 3.0 processor.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi