Re: [xsl] building a mental model for the "current node" behavior

Subject: Re: [xsl] building a mental model for the "current node" behavior
From: "Martin Honnen martin.honnen@xxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 14:46:39 -0000
Am 05.11.2020 um 15:11 schrieb Chris Papademetrious
christopher.papademetrious@xxxxxxxxxxxx:
Im trying to better my understanding of current node behavior in
XSLT, and I have a couple questions.

1. Which stylesheet elements select the current node .?

The dot is used or usable in any XPath expression (https://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-31/#dt-dynamic-context) so I would suggest to rather look at XPath to understand the context item or context node as otherwise stuff like /items/item[cat[. = /categories/cat]] will not be understood.

As a novice, I get confused remembering when the current node
does/doesnt change. Theres also this, which Im trying to grasp:

https://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-30/#func-current

Whats a good mental model for remembering this?

2. Inside an <xsl:template> block, is there a function that returns the
current **template-matched** node?

That is what the current() function does, I am currently not sure why you first cite it and then seem to ask for another function doing the job of the current() function.