Re: [xsl] Random UUID in pure XSLT?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Random UUID in pure XSLT?
From: "Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 20:19:38 -0000
Hi,

Dimitre, suggesting the web service option, offers

for $i in 1 to $N
   return  unparsed-text("https://uuidgen.org/api/v/4";)

I'll try this ... but what prevents an XSLT engine giving me the same
result each time? (Oh I see.)

Update since yesterday -- I've had some apparent success coding up an
implementation of UUID v4 using fn:random-number-generator() ... results so
far are here (comments welcome):

https://github.com/wendellpiez/oscal-tools/blob/issue10-uuid-util/xslt/uuid/r
andom-util.xsl

The functions are deterministic -- they return the same UUID (or UUID
sequence of specified length) for the same seed. In my application, this is
actually a feature.

Thanks for all the info and help so far this is great!

Cheers, Wendell

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 1:32 PM Dimitre Novatchev dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx <

> >  how can I go about producing random UUIDs, in dozens or hundreds,
> inside an XSLT pipeline, without extension functions in Saxon.
>
> This is actually very easy and doesn't require the use of any extension
> functions:
>
> *unparsed-text("https://uuidgen.org/api/v/4
> <https://uuidgen.org/api/v/4>")*
>
> or if you need N of them:
>
> *for $i in 1 to $N*
> *   return  unparsed-text("https://uuidgen.org/api/v/4
> <https://uuidgen.org/api/v/4>") *

> HTH, Dimitre
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 8:36 AM Piez, Wendell A. (Fed)
> wendell.piez@xxxxxxxx <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> XSL Friends b
>>

>> Today I write from the day job, where I am researching the question of
>> how can I go about producing random UUIDs, in dozens or hundreds, inside
an
>> XSLT pipeline, without extension functions in Saxon. The Java randomUUID()
>> function works nicely when itbs available, but I need to distribute the
>> capability for SaxonHE and eventually SaxonJS.
>>

>> We do not have an available implementation of RFC 4122 v4 brandom
UUIDb