Re: [xsl] Random UUID in pure XSLT?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Random UUID in pure XSLT?
From: "Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 01:26:42 -0000
Hi again,

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 8:02 PM Mukul Gandhi gandhi.mukul@xxxxxxxxx <

> Trying to answer the original question.
>
> Given the requirements, I find the answer suggested by Dimitre to be
> useful, to use web service to get the UUID generated. Something
> like, unparsed-text("https://uuid_service";).
>
> That should be portable for deployment.

Not always, for example for users running off line or on an air-gapped
system.

However, my original requirement is also met by a deterministic solution,
so I am content with what can be done with the current functionality of
fn:random-number-generator() -- indeed it proves to be pretty nice.
(Cryptography-level security is not necessary for my use case.)

The lesson seems to be: the details matter.

I am just wondering who the users are, who can always write their own
random number generator, as Liam reports.

Cheers, Wendell

...wendellpiez.com... ...pellucidliterature.org... ...pausepress.org...
...github.com/wendellpiez... ...gitlab.coko.foundation/wendell...