Re: [xsl] Removing unwanted space

Subject: Re: [xsl] Removing unwanted space
From: "Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 19:07:42 -0000
Hi,

Alas, schema awareness is actually not a help for this particular case or
any case where the errant whitespace turns up in places where whitespace is
supposed to be significant (and frequently is).

I suppose something like schema-awareness, or actual schema awareness (XSD
awareness), might be "simulated" in XSLT given appropriate type definitions
in a particular schema (albeit not a general case). And out of the box (for
example) XSD permits designating "collapse" behavior over strings. But this
is harder (respecting whitespace and whitespace-only text nodes within
mixed content at arbitrary depths) and may be more easily configured via an
abstract spec ("treat a p-like element this way, a pre-like element another
way", etc.) than in a schema.

In any case -- once requirements are fully clear -- a
whitespace-normalization filter can be a handy thing to have around.

Cheers, Wendell

On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 2:54 PM Charles O'Connor coconnor@xxxxxxxxxxxx <

--
...Wendell Piez... ...wendell -at- nist -dot- gov...
...wendellpiez.com... ...pellucidliterature.org... ...pausepress.org...