Re: [xsl] In XSLT context, base-uri() and document-uri() return different values

Subject: Re: [xsl] In XSLT context, base-uri() and document-uri() return different values
From: "Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 15:52:33 -0000
We've had to make changes to document-uri() because we were setting it in
cases where we couldn't guarantee that two different documents never have the
same document-uri(), which is an implicit requirement of the spec. For example
copy-of should retain the base URI but drop the document URI.

I'm not aware of any corresponding changes to base URI, but it could be
collateral damage. Neither concept maps particularly well to the Java concept
of System ID.

How is this document being created?

Michael Kay
Saxonica

> On 18 Aug 2021, at 16:27, Eliot Kimber ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> In the context of an XSLT 3 transform run by Saxon-HE 9.9.1.7J, I have a
variable that contains an element from a document loaded using the document()
function.

> In my code I use base-uri() to get the base URI of the element in order to
then resolve URIs relative to this element. This is in code thatbs been
around a long time (nearly 10 years).

> In my latest use of this code, Ibm seeing that base-uri() for the node
reflects the URI of the transform, not the node, but document-uri() for the
elementbs root returns the expected document URI:

>      [xslt] + [DEBUG] df:resolveTopicRef():
base-uri($context)="file:/Users/eliot.kimber/git/dita-ot/dita-ot-air/plugins/
org.dita.html5/xsl/map2html5Impl.xsl"
>      [xslt] + [DEBUG] df:resolveTopicRef():
document-uri($context)="file:/Users/eliot.kimber/git/temp/aair/air-html/bundl
e-aair-automated-incident-response.ditamap"

> My understanding of base-uri() is that I should get the same values for
base-uri() and document-uri() in this case because there are no explicit
xml:base attributes in the source document.

> Why am I seeing this anomalous result from base-uri()? I didnbt see
anything in the XSLT 3 spec or in the XPath spec that would suggest this
behavior (looking for mentions of bbase-urib).