Re: [xsl] DITA tables to SVG

Subject: Re: [xsl] DITA tables to SVG
From: "Paul Tyson phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 00:02:04 -0000
An interesting problem! But it doesn't seem like a schema problem. Where
are you doing table layout? Do you need to preserve any of the original
table structure in the svg, or do you just need a nice rendering of the
table? If your svg viewer will display embedded HTML tables, that would
be an easy way.

If you want high-quality typeset tables, then putting the tables into
xsl-fo seems like a good first step. The DITA Open Toolkit (dita-ot.org)
could help with that, if you don't have another favorite DITA processor
or don't want to write your own xslt for it.

I don't know of an xslfo2svg engine, but I don't keep up with that area.
If I were looking for open-source components to put together a toolchain
for this I would consider xml -> xslt -> xslfo -> LaTeX -> svg.

This could potentially give very good table renditions, but probably
would not preserve any of the original table structure in the svg. If
that is a requirement, another approach is wanted.

If javascript is an option, d3 (d3js.org) is worth looking at, but
teaching it to understand DITA (in full generality) might be challenging.

Regards,

--Paul