Re: [xsl] XSLT programs that blur the distinction between program and data?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT programs that blur the distinction between program and data?
From: "G. Ken Holman g.ken.holman@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 13:52:07 -0000
My XSLT stylesheet for stylesheets produces human-readable documentation and validates my strict business rules for writing XSLT stylesheets:

https://cranesoftwrights.github.io/resources/xslstyle/

In this case the entire program code suite is data to the stylesheet for stylesheets.

. . . . . Ken

At 2022-04-09 15:02 +0000, Roger L Costello costello@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Michael Kay wrote this on March 29, 2022:

> we're using operating systems whose security model is
> 50 years out of date. Where there's a strong distinction
> between "programs" and "data" that's unrealistic in
> today's world

Fascinating!

What are the ways that XSLT programs blur the distinction between program and data?

I think there are two ways:

(1) An XSLT program may have some embedded XML that the program uses. That embedded XML is both part of the program and it is data for the program; so it is both program and data. That is definitely blurring the distinction between program and data!

(2) An XSLT program can modify itself at runtime. [Is this possible? Can one part of XSLT program treat another part of the program as data, modify it, and then continue running but with the modified program?]

What other ways do XSLT programs blur the distinction between program and data?

Is there a classic use case for (1)? That is, is there a classic use case for an XSLT program that uses embedded XML data?

Is there a classic use case for (2)?

/Roger

--
Contact info, blog, articles, etc. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ |