Re: [xsl] How do you prove that your XSLT programs are correct?

Subject: Re: [xsl] How do you prove that your XSLT programs are correct?
From: "G. Ken Holman g.ken.holman@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 14:57:48 -0000
At 2022-04-15 14:39 +0000, Eliot Kimber eliot.kimber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
One of the practical challenges in testing the
output of XSLTs is the sheer cost of maintaining
the test cases themselves: if youre using some
kind of diff-based checker (this is something we
used for the GAO HTML publishing system using a
home-grown XML diff mechanism) then you have to
maintain the exemplars youre testing against,
which can be a significant time cost.

In general Ive found it more practical to
depend on output inspection using both
artificial test case documents where the content
says what the correct expected result is as well
as realistic content. This puts the time cost in
the inspection and depends on the knowledge of
the inspectors but tends to be a lower time cost
overall. This is usually in the context of
relatively low-budget projects or projects where
absolute correctness is not a top concern (i.e.,
not safety critical or in a regulated industry).

Testing PDF output is even more of a
challengeAntenna House sells a PDF comparator
tool that appears to do what you need (Ive
never actually used the product) but you face
the same exemplar maintenance challenge as for XML or HTML outputs.

I can attest to how valuable the Antenna House PDF comparator tool AHRTS has been for the https://RealtaOnline.com project that I'm on. I could not live without it. Having it catch something as subtle as adding an inherited attribute and not realizing the impact that it has by moving content over by just one pixel when I didn't want it to. Never would I have noticed by eye.

And in our situation I have addressed many
customers by writing onion-skin shells around a
core set of stylesheets ... being able to test a
change in the core against all of the customers'
differing uses of the core means that AHRTS will
catch me when a change I make in the core for one
customer impacts the expected results of another customer.

I would not have the confidence in my changes
without this tool watching my back!

. . . . . . Ken

Cheers,

E.